Before going further with the sections, we should tackle the general settings. These are a small group of settings that affect your entire website. Some can be seen from within other sections, others not.
- Log into your Shopify dashboard.
- Click the Online Store link.
- From the theme view, hit the Customize theme button (top right corner).
- Enter the General settings tab.
Customizing the colors
- Enter the Colors tab.
- Choose a color for Background. This will apply to your store's background. Some sections on the homepage will feature a slightly darkened version of the background color.
- Choose a color for Text. This will apply to most of your store's text. The footer will also have this color (to provide contrast with the rest of the body).
Customizing the fonts
- Enter the Typography tab.
- From the Headings list, choose a font for all of your store's titles and call to actions.
- From the Body list, choose a font for the general typography of your store.
Customizing the product grid
You can read more about the subject in this article.
Adding a favicon
The favicon needs to be an icon associated with your store, typically displayed in the address bar of a browser accessing the site or next to the site name in a user's list of bookmarks.
Adding a background for your store's gift cards
If you are selling or giving gift cards on your website, you have the possibility to upload a background image for the gift card page, thus personalizing the shopping experience.
Customizing the cart
We've already tackled the subject in the previous article.
Starting with theme version 2.0, we've added the option to enable an Image preloader gif animation.
Setting up your social icons
Social icons appear in the sidebar menu of your store or in the footer, if you choose to insert them there. Here, in the General settings, you can configure your links for a handful of the most popular networks.
Customizing the checkout experience
Shopify's checkout page is not included in the theme, and you do not have too much control over it's design. You can, however, customize it a bit in order to suit your store's design better. You have the possibility to add background images, upload your own logo, play with typography and colors. These features don't depend on the theme as they are pure Shopify features.