Starting with the customizer
Split's customizer provides a lot of options in order to brand and customize your website after your own needs. In this article we'll explore what each option do, in order for you to get the best idea about how everything works.
Follow these steps to open the theme customizer (editor):
- Log into your Shopify dashboard.
- Click the Online Store link.
- From the theme view, hit the Customize theme button (top right corner).
- You will be brought to your homepage and you will see all static sections, along the homepage's sections.
- When trying to access inner page's sections, simply navigate from within the editor and you'll see the settings for other pages.
There are three static sections present on every page of your website. These are the header, the footer, the announcement bar, the popup and the text columns with icons.
Customizing the header
The header contains your store's logo, the menu and some buttons for the shopping cart and search functionality.
- Click the Header tab from the theme editor.
- Upload your own logo in the Logo image field. We recommend logos that don't exceed 100px in height.
- In the Custom logo height, write the desired logo's height.
Make sure that you upload a larger logo than the total size (to make sure that it'll look sharp on retina devices). Ex: If you want a 100px logo, the logo image that you upload needs to have 200px and you will write 100 in the logo width field.
- If you don't want to use an image logo you can just click Remove and your store's name will appear instead.
- Then there are two menus - a larger one (primary navigation) that we are using for collections and a secondary one (secondary navigation) for other pages, blogs or policies. Of course, this is just a suggestion, you can use these as you wish. Read this article on how to create menus.
- You can then choose tho show or hide social icons, language selectors or currency selectors.
Just above the header, there is the announcement bar, which can be shown site-wide or only on the homepage. You can also tweak it's colors and add a link.
Text columns with icons
Before the footer you have a row of text columns with icons that you can use to write about your brand or feature various logistic aspects that you want your buyers to see. We've included a pack of 180 high quality icons that you can use here: https://www.krownthemes.com/krown-icons/
Customizing the footer
The footer allows you to use up to four different blocks with various content.
- Click the Footer tab from the theme editor.
- Click the Add content button to add your desired blocks. These will be arranged in one or two columns, based on their number. Some blocks can only be used once.
Customizing the popup
Highlight features a popup which allows you to display a newsletter signup form or various promotions. Follow these steps to configure it:
- Click the Popup tab from the theme editor.
- From the Functionality tab, choose how fast you want the popup to appear after the visitor enters your website and how often should it be shown to your visitors.
- Write a Title and some Content. These are completely optional though.
- If you also want to show the newsletter form, then check Show newsletter.
A note on how the popup works - if a user dismisses it, it will not show up for that user for a whole month. So if you dismiss the popup then don't see it, try with a new browser.